Monday, September 21, 2009

Phantom of the Opera

Last week, we had an absolutely enthusiastic and inspiring evening with Molly Holzschlag. Her passion for standards and web development were infectious. I even felt like I could do it too! That is until I went back to the drawing board and then determined, somethings are really just not my forte. I rented several library books and have buried my head in them ever since.

What I found to be so interesting is the issues with Microsoft Internet Explorer. Having come from a supportive view over the past 10+years of 'it is ok that Bill Gates owns everything' to now knowing there is a concerted effort to change what I am seeing on given websites has me beginning to get a bit angry. I have stayed away from my windows machines and am deciding at this time, what next. So, I downloaded Safari onto a Windows computer, take that Microsoft!
I have never been a fan of anything that has to do with Mozilla or Firefox as every chance I had to use them, they did not perform accurately nor did they work like I needed at the time. Yes, I have a distaste for open source and free goods; probably too much conditioning from using exchange servers and years of internet explorer.

Now, I have been using my mac with Safari exclusively and have to ask why do I need a second browser at this point? It works for my basic needs and having another seems like wasted space.

My past / present interaction with Opera has actually been as the system to house testbanks. Instead of using another application, the textbook manufacturers are using the Opera browser as the vehicle to let me choose test questions for tests. Additionally, it was tied back to the publisher to link to the textbook's website.

So, I am willing to look further but still am not really sure why I would need another browser....

More later.
CH

No comments:

Post a Comment